Collecting Societies

JRC administers rights to record music and to provide interactive delivery services of music.

The type of agreement which JRC offers to copyright holders is a commission agreement (as opposed to a trust agreement).

Under a trust agreement, a copyright holder (trustor) transfers its ownership of copyright to the collecting society (trustee) for the purpose of management of the copyright.  Under a commission agreement, no ownership of copyright is transferred to the collecting society.  As a result, under a trust agreement, the collecting societies are considered to have wider discretion to protect the entrusted copyright.  For example, the collecting society would be authorized to demand payment of royalties or file a lawsuit to claim compensation under its own name.  Under a commission agreement, the collecting society may not do so.

The amount of fees/royalties to be paid to collecting societies are exclusive of VAT (in Japan, it is called "consumption tax").  The person who wants to receive license from the collecting societies has to pay the amount plus 5 % consumption tax.


+81 3 54236767
8F Giraffa, 1-6-10 Hiroo,
Shibuya-ku Tokyo 150-0012,

Information for JRC was contributed by the CMO through Baker & McKenzie

  • Music publishers
Rights administered by the Collecting Society? Right held by virtue of a law or statute? Possible by law to have these rights cleared directly by the right holder without involving the Collecting Society?
Reproduction / copying rights Yes Yes No
Public performance rights No No No
Distribution rights / rights to issue copies to the public Yes Yes No
Rights to communicate to the public / make available over the internet Yes Yes No
Other rights